Studio K Junior Teaching Programme
Welcome to the Studio K Junior Teaching Programme!
Studio K is proud to introduce a unique learning and development opportunity for our young dancers: The Studio K Junior Teaching Program. This program has been carefully developed to provide a safe and supported space for trainees to learn about the art and discipline of teaching dance while developing new skills that can be utilized both inside and outside of the studio. The program consists of three levels: Helpers, Assistants, and Junior Teachers.
The Studio K Junior Teaching Programme aims to achieve the following goals:
- Create opportunities for further learning and growth within the Studio K community.
- Empower trainees with a strong sense of independence and leadership skills.
- Educate trainees on the art and profession of teaching dance.
- Develop life skills that can be applied beyond the dance studio.
In addition to the valuable learning experiences, trainees in the Studio K Junior Teaching Programme will enjoy several benefits:
- Opportunities for growth within the program, with increased responsibilities and the chance to be credited for their work in show programs and other Studio K events.
- Early access to apply for work at Studio K once they reach the appropriate working age.
- Studio K can provide signed confirmation for work experience and participation in the program.
- The program can be used as part of the volunteer requirements of the Duke of Edinburgh Award, assisting trainees an opportunity to earn this prestigious achievement. Please note that the Studio K Junior Teaching Programme is a minimum commitment of one full academic year (September to July).
How Does the Program Work?
- Mentorship: Each trainee will be assigned a mentor and supervising mentor. These individuals will guide the trainees and be the persons they assist on a weekly basis. Trainees will report to their mentors regularly.
- Assisting: All trainees will assist a minimum of one dance class per week and will be provided with a checklist to fill out regularly, ensuring they fulfill their responsibilities effectively.
- Set Tasks: Trainees will be required to complete a minimum of one set task per term. These tasks could include creating a poster, writing a report, leading warm-ups or cool-downs, creating playlists, developing class plans, or demonstrating exercises to a class.
- Assessments: At the end of each year, trainees will undergo a level-appropriate assessment. The assessment date will be clearly communicated at the beginning of the year. Passing the assessment is necessary to progress to the next level.
- Uniform and Materials: Trainees will receive a program t-shirt to wear as a uniform when assisting, and a notebook for taking notes. The mentor may check the notebook at any time.
- Teachers Assistant Mentored Workshop Days: Trainees will participate in three Teachers Assistant Mentored Workshop Days throughout the academic year, one per term during term time. These workshops, led by their supervising mentor or guest instructors, will cover various topics. These topics may include DBS checks, insurance, first aid (Level 3 trainees may need to cover additional costs for first aid certification), safeguarding practices, code of conduct, studio rules, fire safety information, teaching language, history and context of dance genres, music playlist creation, choreography workshops, and freestyle teaching techniques.
Who Can Join the Program?
The Studio K Junior Teaching Programme is open to individuals aged 10 and above (or turning 10 within the first term of the academic year). Applicants must be committed to attending a minimum of one class per week at Studio K. Limited places are available, and interested individuals are required to complete an application form.
Program Costs:The program fee covers three Teachers Assistant Mentored Workshop Days (normally 10am to 2:30pm) , a program t-shirt & notebook & DBS check (if required) and any additional materials required.
Option 1 – Payment for the year in full – £275
Option 2 – 3 x termly payments of £100
Option 3 – 11 x installments of £28 (charged on 1st of each month from September 2023 to July 2024)